Friday, September 3, 2010

3

Here are a story, a song, and a poem. They were all just completed, so I'll probably tinker with them a little more before they're really done, but I'm really happy with them now so I thought I'd share :)

______

Reduction (a short story)

A piece of marble cold and grey, rested in a quarry in Carrara, Tuscany with Its’ brothers. It waited patiently in the lot as each portion was individually assessed for quality. After much waiting, It was selected for shipping and carefully carried to the city of Florence, where it was to be transformed into Art. The marble gloried in Its’ newfound destiny. Within a few ours though, it longed to return to the anonymity of the quarry, for Art-work had commenced. Chisels flashed in the sun, burning with light as they arced down into Its’ flesh, the sound of hammering reverberated through the air as chips flew off the supine stone. Agony was all It new, as pieces of Itself fell to the floor. Some were so large, it seemed as if the half of the stone’s weigh were leaving at once, other slivers were no larger than a grain of sand. But each piece was pain, each piece was a part of the rock being stripped away, laid bare before the world. Only thought that one day, It would take a proud place in this city of beauty kept the marble from madness. Day after day the torture continued until at last the artist stood back with a sigh:

“I am done. I have not been able to achieve the affect I wanted, take it away.”

The artist turned and walked away and only the rain remained to trace tears down the jagged rock’s face

______

Song

(still untitled, and not very song like as you can't here the melody but I'm still working on both of those - I've got ideas, but nothing concrete)


You wander the streets of this broken down town

Scared the cracked sidewalks will swallow your soul

Stop flinging your heart at these concrete walls

And turn away from this blood-stained ground

And

Every Day you say that you cry

Cause the days and your dreams

Are passing you by

And every night I wonder why

You don’t come home.

You ran to the desert to try to escape

The holes you could see in your soul

Did the emptiness you found there fill you up

Or did the silence make you weep?

Still

Every Day you say that you cry

Cause the days and your dreams

Are passing you by

And every night I wonder why

You don’t come home.

A chasm between us grows deep as death

But I pray you can still feel my love

No matter where you are or what you’ve done

You always have my love

Yet

Every Day you say that you cry

Cause the days and your dreams

Are passing you by

And every night I wonder why

You don’t come home.

But you won’t come home….

______

and finally a poem :)


Wishing on the Sun

Tonight I started wishing, on every star for you

And I’ll stay up till dawn brings the biggest and best

If it makes my wish come true.

______

And in closing:

The story is kind of a bummer, I know, but it can actually be read in more than one way, see Michelangelo's David's marble was from a quarry in Carrara, Tuscany and was brought to Florence and worked on by several other sculptors before he created the masterpiece. At one point, it was left for years gathering dust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_(Michelangelo)). So maybe the marble got another shot, or maybe it just found peace being left alone. Who knows, I don't really.

The song, It's kind of about me missing both Danny and Steve, but you know, with artistic liberties throughout.

And the poem, kind of cutesy I know, but I love the stars in the little prince, so I've got a thing for them, and the idea of wishing on the sun seemed sweet to me :)

1 comment:

  1. I love your short story!!
    I have a thing for stories that take you on a journey & then take an unpredicted twist! You did a great job leaving the ending open to interpretation and contemplation!

    ReplyDelete