Friday, April 15, 2011

Longer

My theme for this week has been writing longer. I love writing small poetry: haikus, limericks, etc. I love making every word count and giving depth to small ideas, or making a large one as simple as possible. Or, using the least amount of words to paint the most detailed pictures. And that's good. What is bad is that sometimes I think to myself, this poem could be longer, but I'm afraid I'll mess it up, so I'll stop here. Or I'm too lazy to add to a poem that would probably work better longer, and with a more full story. So this week, I tried to write poems with multiple stanzas, continuing ideas that demand more than just a few lines. Let me know what you think!


Also, I did write something between the 5th and now, I just am not ready to put it online.  So if you want to read it, Facebook or email me and I'll send it on over :)

My favorite parts (Just FYI): Fourth stanza of Nothing....  stanzas two and four and the ideas of stanza's three and five of Losing.





Nothing Good Can Stay
When February falls frozen
And March trudges on her way
Then die the thrushes,
--nothing good can stay

When April rains, harsh and heavy,
that flowers might bloom in May
Then drown the seedlings
--nothing good can stay

When June brings the desert,
July follows with fiery ray
Then burn the forests
--nothing good can stay

When August sends a shiver-
September turns gold to hay
then death to all the roses
--nothing good can stay

When October skies darken,
November nights steal the day
Then sleep steals from the woodland
--nothing good can stay

When December strikes the death blow
January turns bright eyes away
Then dies the old year
--nothing good can stay.




Losing
I lost you, like the keys to an old house
hurriedly thrust in some coat's pocket,
fallen on the floor, soon buried, forgotten

I lost you, like a handful of loose change
drifting in the ether of grey car seats,
fallen careless from fickle fingers

I lost you, like flowers fading on a table
petals tenuously hanging, wearily awaiting
the inevitable doom of all things picked

I lost you, like the last shard of the moon
slipping slowly into obscurity
on a night of wind and clouds.

I lost you, like the memory of a sunny afternoon
that perfect moment, forgotten by a mind
that would have remembered rain

I lost you, like a long year spent sloppily
on splashy second-rate entertainment,
regretted long before it was over

I lost you, like hours wasted on a dream
wrapped in maybes that would never be yeses
living for hopes that hadn't a prayer

I lost you, like love, asked too many times
for forgiving and forgetting, finally closing the door-
leaving only the sound of its' locking.

No comments:

Post a Comment