Thursday, August 4, 2011

Procrastinating is good for poeming

More Poems! I got this stuck in my head the other day, and I finally stole a moment to put it on paper:
Sinking Sand
My life is made of sinking sand,
but I intend to float
my open hands are paddles
this empty heart the boat.

Within the limitless lake of dust
I glide, a glinting mote
I've build a mast of stubbornness-
the sail I'll weave of hope

Though I may never find firm land
within this desert remote
I'll keep my soul light and free
for I intend to float.

I've been reading a lot of Sara Teasdale (And I strongly recommend you do the same). She's a poet after my own heart, a lot of her stuff is short, it's rich and often has a twist to it. It doesn't feel didactic or preachy, but it does say something new. I was excited to find that she wrote a lot of poems about April (Being born then, I've always been partial to it) and I started thinking about why she would write so much about that month particularly. I love April, but while it's the first month of spring, it tends to still be chilly and often dreary. You want flowers and sun, but you get mud and rain. The world is starting to wake up, but it isn't dressed yet and it certainly hasn't done it's hair or make up. (Hum... I like that... it may show up somewhere else someday :) So then I wrote this poem (But that sentence may be better than the poem, now it's gonna have an inferiority complex, poor thing ;)

April
April is the beginning
that hasn't yet begun
a promise not yet broken
because it hasn't yet become

It's the question to an answer
that hasn't yet appeared
it's waiting for a wish
we've dreamed of in our tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment