Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Back already... because this is what I do at work.

SO, the upside to a currently boring (hopefully to be improved) job is that I have plenty of time to spend doing things like memorizing poetry and writing.  How much time you ask... enough to memorize or relearn more than 10 poems and write 5 new poems.  I liked the last ones I posted better, but I like these ones pretty awesomely too.  So here they are:

World Apart
I do not reach for you
when I wake in a twisted field of cotton, hands searching for the light
I do not look for you
as the tears warm my eyes, oceanic rain watering the pallid plains of my face
I do not call you
while my earth quakes and I gasp for air as the ground disappears
I do not need to

You simply are-
rising through my apocalypse,
refusing displacement by
the insubstantial cataclysm
Your memory alone, enough
to restore my world.

Counting
To find you
I have folded the pages of a thousand paper cranes
I have broken the hearts of three hundred fortune cookies
I have snatched from the wind one hundred will-o-wisp wishes
I have searched the sky for the burning trails of fifty falling stars
I have pulled from the ground forty four leaf clovers
I have blown candles from twenty-four birthday cakes
And I am still counting....

1 comment:

  1. Wow.
    I love the descriptions you use in ‘World Apart’ ~ “oceanic rain watering the pallid plains of my face” and “apocalypse, refusing displacement by the insubstantial cataclysm…”
    I wish I could find ways to fit those words into everyday conversation…but then, perhaps they wouldn’t be so rich and special…

    I love 'Counting'~ there is something eerily breathtaking about it...“Will-o-wisp wishes”!

    ReplyDelete