Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Paper Cuts and Poetry

Here's what I did today.
Oh, and I got more paper cuts.  Perhaps that's why these poems aren't in a shiny mood.  But I am!


I think my favorite to day is park fountain.  Hope  is a concept I've played with for awhile, I like this approach, but I want to change up some words to make it better.  




Double Exposure
Ghosts pose-
what is overlaying what could have been
filling, pale and transparent
every moment.
Ghosts of those who were-
and are
but are no longer who
they were.
Ghosts, filling
negative spaces
blurring the solid faces
until it is impossible to see.
Ghosts- I know enough
of letting go-am not interested
in grasping at these illusions
resting in my hands.
Ghosts of film and memory,
developed in the dark room of my mind
I will take you out into the light,
let the sun bleach you bare.

Hope
Hope lies
In the eyes of white trimmed brides
In the smiles of sleeping children
In the stomachs of mothers to be
Hope lies
In the eyes of the too soon expiring
In the smiles of the slowly starving
In the stomachs of mothers, miscarried
Yes, sometimes hope lies

Park Fountain
words
fall from your lips
like water from a fountain
indiscriminately flowing
looping through, recycled
refilled by infrequent rain
as evaporation and loss
leave room for a little more
water,
flowing out of the mouths of fountains
as we walk in the park.


Snake oil sales man
the carefully crafted smile you wear
is as well made as the briefcase in your hand
(how many of your clients know that it is a sham)
the tidal wave of familiarity you ride
fills the room like the cologne you wear
(you never say: a little goes a long way, quality over quantity)
"let me start off by saying, I'm not like the others"
even your navy suit is just a little different
(connotations and denotations are very important with words)
You won't leave empty handed, your words run on
I hand you a business card and walk you to the door
(then back to work, stopping only to wash the oil from my hands)

1 comment:

  1. Where does your inspiration come from??
    I am amazed by the diversity of your writings...
    One of my favorite things about your work is that you don’t stick with only pretty or comfortable subjects~ love that!

    I love each of these for different reasons...
    I really like the idea behind "Double Exposure"!
    "Park Fountain" is the perfect metaphor!!
    AND PS~ You don't seem to have ANY trouble coming up with blog titles!! :D heart you!

    ReplyDelete